Saturday, April 25, 2009

Horror Reviews Are In - Part II

Here it is readers as promised, part two in the horror review series. Just as the initial entry, these posts are to provide you all with various film reviews written by me personally and will range from films that for the most part have for decades been under the radar. However, for those of you that prefer more up-to-date movies there's no reason to worry because I've got a few of those included as well. Now that I've said all that, lets DISH on my latest marathon...


I have to say that initially when I went to view this film, I was quickly bored and found myself distracted and tuning out. However, it was 2:30 in the morning so I could have just been tired. Not giving it a second thought until it was announced that an updated version would be filmed and released in 2009, I went back to it and tried again. This time it was 9 p.m. and I was wide awake. I have to say, Sean Cunningham and Wes Craven did an excellent job with this piece. While the film is extremely violent with its presentation of rape/murder/drugs, etc., the idea represented in this film is quite different than anything that had been put together to this magnitude back in the early 70's. The theme of good vs. evil is clearly represented, however it is showcased in a much different manner than traditional horror films. You've got the rapists and murderers who commit unspeakable acts of cruelty, and then you've got the loving and devoted couple who end up seeking revenge on the deviants that preyed on their daughter. The choppiness of the film is something that had bothered me slightly but after a few viewings, I find that it actually adds more terror and a sense of being stranded with no hope of survival. The graininess too is something that if it had not been there and the picture were more clear, then it would have felt like an entirely different film. Definitely a film to add into a collection and a must if you intend on viewing the 2009 version. Enjoy and just remember to repeat to yourself "It's only a movie!"


Everyone knows I have a place in my heart for the originals, however it's a key part of my life and who I am to give these new additions a chance! I am happy to say that this one definitely doesn't disappoint. It kept all of the important factors that made the 1972 feature so unique and fresh for its time. Obviously with the new technologies available today, this film has an entire different look and feel to it, but don't let that turn you off because it works. The infamous rape scene is still there and just as disturbing as it was before. In terms of alterations to the film, I'd have to say that the most significant change in terms of character development in this update of the classic was that of the escaped convicts son; Justin. This time around he is much more together and not nearly as crazed as his family. He is remorseful and wants to help the victims escape, however it comes off that he himself is somewhat of a victim too. What is important with his character is the sense of redemption that lies beneath his trapped exterior. The casting of the parents seeking revenge was very well done, the intensity on their faces when they discover their daughter and that instant switch that seemed to go off in their eyes. Look closely you can see it on camera the moment they decide to seek vengence. Wes Craven did a phenomenal job here, it's definitely one to go see! Enjoy!!!


"The Dorm That Dripped Blood" is a film that in my opinion is not worth watching twice. The way in which I determine what makes a film fall into that category is whether or not you remember it. I had seen this film once before but it was clearly forgettable since I had no recollection of ever seeing it before. That is why this film is one I'd say is safe to pass on. The killings were nothing special and while I do give kudos to the rare end fate of the killer and survivor girl, the cops were completely ridiculous and stupid. There is nothing worse than poorly written characters, which is sad in this case because the premise of the film is quite intriguing. Unfortunately, the execution of the film as a whole fails completely. Don't expect too much going into it, and maybe you won't be too disappointed.


While the 80's was a time in which the horror genre spawned an abundance of films (most of which were simply forgettable and were also released in an attempt to cash in on the successes of Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees), "The House On Sorority Row" was one of the few that earned its rightful place to be remembered. Now does this mean I think it is a classic and one that blew me away? NO! Absolutely not. The story was quite unique for it's time, however the way in which the events unfolded after the initial killing just did not seem to flow well enough for me. With the updated version coming out in the 4th quarter of this year, I would recommend all true horror fans to see this film first. It is important to recognize and respect the original movie before viewing and judging the newer versions so that way you can see the differences to the story and film style. The big question is will this film end up in my collection... only time will tell.


George A. Romero is one of my all time favorite film makers, and for the most part is known for his extraordinary ability to depict a deteriorating society. With his film currently receiving a Hollywood "upgrade", I just had to re-watch the original to recall what I did and did not enjoy about the film. Let's go with the negatives first, I simply detested the constant sound of the drums anytime something military was going on. It took away from the dialogue for sure, and if you watch/listen closely you can notice that when the actors speak, you can barely hear what they said during these "drumming-moments". There was just no need for that to be in the film as much as it was. The beginning of the film where the story is unfolding almost instantly, I feel was both good and bad. The negative here was that it seemed a bit choppy and all over the place and I couldn't really focus on who was speaking to who via telephones and radios and so forth. However, in terms of film style I feel that this made a great deal of sense regarding the message of the film itself. Romero was showing the audience a series of events in a manner that while slightly confusing, was directly correlated to how a real life event such as this would play out. The bottom line here is chaos would ensue. As a whole in terms of execution of the film and the telling of its story, it doesn't do it for me. However, Romero has remained in tact regarding his film style and storyline. Much like his work on the 'Dead' series, this film expresses what we as human beings revert to in the most terrifying of circumstances. We don't know who to trust or who to help, we simply are looking out for ourselves and those we hold most dearly to our hearts. Like most of his endings, this one too ends with sadness but is also left wide open at the same time. Most audiences are seeking a happy ending, but seriously this is the horror genre; all that should be expected is an ending of some kind. There is no logical reasoning in having a horror film end with a 100% happily ever after feel to it. That is something I have always admired about Romero and the horror genre itself, and someday I will incorporate those themes into my own works! Stay tuned for the new version of Romero's film which hits theaters on February 26, 2010.

That concludes part two of the DishThis! horror review marathon. I hope all you genre fans enjoyed this read and be sure to stay tuned for the next installment. Until then, stay frightened, lock your doors, bolt your windows, and PLEASE... never say "Who's there?"

No comments: