Saturday, May 9, 2009

Horror Reviews Are In - Part III

The third entry to the horror review series has arrived! This time with an even more well-rounded group of films from the genre. As seen previously, each review is meant to give every one of you a brief detailed opinion on what to expect before popping in that DVD. Touching upon films from decades past and even the present, there is surely something for everybody. So let's get to the DISH, shall we...


The third installment to the franchise proves to be better than part two, however fails to surpass the greatness of the original. 'Revelations' brought an interesting twist to the trilogy by not simply having events altered due to the jumping back and forth into the past and present, but actually showcased the terror that can be created by altering fate and destiny. The on screen performances were strong enough in their intensity that the audience begins to truly care for each character. Which makes it that much more disturbing to us when we see that specific character eventually become the serial killer's next victim. The only thing I will mention as a slight negative is that as you witness each of the film's characters die off, it becomes clear who the killer is based on their only connection to the victims. However, don't let this discourage you from viewing the film as it only becomes clear to you about one minute before the killer's mask is revealed. While this is a standalone film as the second one was, the initial film is a must to simply give you the backstory on what the 'Butterfly Effect' is. Enjoy the film.


I'd have to say that this film really did not leave me with too much to think about, which in my opinion means it did not do its job. My feeling is that if a film doesn't intrigue you enough to continue thinking about it and asking questions, then something is missing. "Dying Breed" is essentially a combination of 'Wrong Turn' and 'The Hills Have Eyes', with a minor addition of the back story surrounding the Tasmania lands. Visually I was content but not blown away, everything just seemed way too unoriginal. Before I even began to view the film, I was curious as to why there was a martini glass as the box art. Now that I have seen the film, I still have no answer to that but I guess it's my own personal preference that the cover art be somehow directly related to the film. While most of this review does seem to be more negative than positive, I'd still say to check it out if your taste lies with cannibalism and survival of the fittest themes. Enjoy...


Before I jump into this mostly negative review, I just want to say that I am a huge fan of Sam and Ted Raimi and I was surprised at my distaste for anything they are a part of. Anyway with that said, here it goes...
Okay so here we have another horror film from the 80's that like most of them doesn't really stand out too much amongst the others. However, I was shocked and quite intrigued that there was zero nudity in the film. The 1980's was a decade where nudity in horror films was rampant so it was refreshing to see a complete lack of it. Sadly to say even with that, there is just a lack of execution done overall. While I prefer sometimes to use my mind to create a scene, in this movie the death scenes were quite gory and it was all visually right there for you. With a few interesting characteristics displayed by the killer and a couple of one-liners he spits out, I felt myself wondering as to how much longer until the credits roll. Never a good sign! I found it unrealistic that the 'survivor girl' simply goes about her duties while shutting down the store and doesn't notice that all of her co-workers are missing. The ending was quite ridiculous in terms of the police that arrive on the scene, and their characters were written very much in the same manner as those seen at the finale of the 1982 film "The Dorm That Dripped Blood." My final thought would have to be that while the idea is quite good and setting was certainly perfect for a crazed killer to prey on victims, the execution failed. Check it out, but don't go in expecting much.


Here we have an interesting take on the creature-feature genre combined with the traditional good characters vs. bad characters who have to band together to survive. The film had a slight similarity to 'Tremors 2' in regards to the methods in which the creatures hunt, however other than that this creature was quite fresh I must say. Strong on screen performances were delivered, especially Jill Wagner's portrayal of heroine Polly Watt. Wonderfully executed from start to finish, however there are some instances where your mind may wander off. It is for this reason that I'd say to definitely check out the film since it is a unique take on the popular creature-feature. However, for me it is not something I'd add to my collection or watch a second time. We've all had splinters before and know how they feel, however nothing will prepare you for the splinting pain you're going to see in this film. Enjoy!!!


Okay so here we have another remake attempt by the American film market, but this time it is of a South Korean movie from 2003 titled "A Tale of Two Sisters." Fast forward to 2009 in which its U.S. adaptation is known as "The Uninvited", displays the talents of well-known actress Elizabeth Banks and up-and-coming actress Emily Browning. The on screen performances were strong on all counts, and even the story kept me going throughout the films duration. However, while all of those things were very well done I am sad to say that the finale of the film is predictable and is nothing we haven't seen before. I found myself remembering such amazing hits as "The Sixth Sense", which was phenomenal. And if you haven't seen that one I recommend you do so before seeing this film or any other!!! :) In terms of the film style, it was visually satisfying with some interesting color schemes and angles. It's worth checking out and appreciating for what it does accomplish. Enjoy!!!

This brings us to the conclusion of part three of the DishThis! horror marathon. The next installment is well under way and I hope all you genre fans will keep your eyes peeled as the next few months have a great deal in store. Until then, let the fear consume you but always remember to check your back seat before getting into the car and NEVER let your guard down!

No comments: