Sunday, June 15, 2008

Friend or Frenemy?

We all have friends and some of us even have frenemies, however is it possible to not recognize who's who anymore? Or even more puzzling, is it possible for a frenemy to become a friend?

These are just some of the things that have popped into my mind lately as I prepare for a new chapter in my life. Some of my closest friends who have a great deal of things going on (good, bad, and extremely ugly) do not seem to be making any progress no matter how much I try and help when they ask. I care about them and their lives but not to sound selfish "I have a great deal of things going on too!" I feel as if no matter what anyone ever says to anyone else, they will in the end do whatever they deem necessary to make themselves happy. Even if that means making the wrong decision for the long-run.

For example:
(ALL names have been changed to protect the not so innocent, LOL)
My friend Jeffrey hasn't called me in like 2 weeks and we haven't seen one another in about a month. To me this is unacceptable because the two of us since we met have been like "two peas in a pod." All of this seemed to change overnight when apparently his boyfriend Chaz (second time around for them mind you) made it known that there's a bit of jealousy on his part regarding the friendship Jeffrey and I have together. Neither one of us understood where the jealousy came from, but nevertheless since then our interaction with one another has completely disappeared. Then I magically get a phone call and he was crying and telling me how shitty things have been and how much he misses me and that it seems he and Chaz are breaking up but they don't. So two hours on the phone and I was able to calm him down a bit and have him go to sleep and have a fresh start the following day. Then a few days go by and he tells me that everyday they seem to have been breaking up and then 2 hours later they talk and get back together (yeah that's a great stable relationship right!) but I digress. Anyway the final straw came when I received a text message saying "I'm trying to get my life back on track its nothing anyone did I just need time. So I'm not carrying around my phone or talking to anyone. I will talk to people when I am ready. I'm sorry hunni, ttys." I get that sometimes people need time but give me a break I'm one of your best friends and you put me on hold so to speak... FUCK THAT! As if that wasn't bad enough he deleted his MySpace, and no longer has an email address either. Talk about hiding from the world, now there's no way to reach him.

Well all I can say is hopefully he figures things out and realizes what he does and does not need in his life. Sooner rather than later because shortly I'll be shall we say relocating. (that's a story for a future blog though) Bottomline here is that Jeffrey is still a dear friend of mine however to me it looks like he chose his jealous boyfriend over our friendship and that hurts. You'd think after the "Sex and the City" phenomena people would remember the truest of relationships are those held with your dearest friends because boyfriends/girlfriends come and go, but real friends are there forever!

Stay tuned for more entries into the "Friend or Frenemy?" series which will include more exploits of the people in my life.
Until then... DishThis!

No comments: