Monday, June 9, 2008

"Reality" Television

Get Ready To DishThis!!!

It looks like reality television is here to stay people. Who would have thought back in 1992 when the fuckers at MTV launched the never-ending series "The Real World" that 16 years later the networks would be flooded with an abundance and diverse selection of this so called "entertainment". At this point you can't even turn on a damn channel without seeing a reality show. It seems to have a home on ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX! The four largest and leading networks in the entire television arena and this is what they are filling their airwaves with!!? Who would've thought this would happen, right! Whether it be a group of strangers living together, a group of designers or chefs or hair stylists or dancers competing for a champion title and a cash prize to jump-start their careers, or even the exploits of some of the most eyed celebs in Hollywood... there's apparently something for everyone!

I must admit that I have NEVER been a fan of reality shows, nor did I think I would ever jump on the band wagon either. C'mon the only season of "The Real World" I ever watched was New Orleans (ages ago right, I know! lol) However, times are different now and while American television was changing I myself had been further growing as a person and opening myself up to the true greatness behind reality t.v. While I'm in no way supporting the endless and insufferable dance programs that seem to be taking over the airwaves (OMG they bother me!), I will say that I am hooked on BRAVO TV's reality programming! What many of these shows have done is give everyday American citizens the opportunity to show-off their talents and begin their careers. I think that is great, and I do enjoy getting to know the people cast for each season. Top Chef, Project Runway, Real Housewives of Orange County (and yes now NYC as well), possibly New Jersey Housewives too, but lets see when it airs and what drama those bitches gonna bring to us haha. Others I watch are Food Network's "The Next Food Network Star", Oxygen's "Tori & Dean: Inn Love" and the recently debut series on E! "Living Lohan" (I can't believe I have sunk so low) and "Denise Richards: It's Complicated" (I don't give a flying fuck what anyone says she is fabulous and everyone has taken to her in ALL the wrong ways.) And while I love Paris I just... ughh don't get me started on that Hilton girl. Moving on please!

I won't waste too much time on "Living Lohan", however haven't we already seen this before; a screwed-up always in the tabloid family living on Long Island? Oh that's right A&E's "Growing Up Gotti". While both families do in fact have their issues, I am tired of people and the tabloids getting into their fucking lives. Who gives a shit what the Lohan's are up to, in the end they are just like everyone else and have a right to their privacy. So leave them the hell alone. I give so much credit to Dina Lohan for having her hands full and being the single mom that she is, not many women can do it and they don't have the paparazzi to worry about. Same goes for Victoria Gotti, those three boys of hers while deep down probably sweethearts certainly keep her on her toes! Props to you both, but come on papps just let them be and make your own lives something special and then ya wont have to idolize these celebs.

And now onto Denise Richards... I have always loved this girl and do not give a fuck what people say about her or her family life. Okay so she had some major bad press for a few years and it takes two to tango I agree but she was so not in the wrong with that whole Charlie fiasco. She likes the bad boys so what that doesn't mean she deserves the treatment she received from her ex and she certainly doesn't deserve the bullshit the paparazzi dishes out into her life on a daily basis. She is fabulous and these people live to judge and spread rumors of people they don't know. Just shut the fuck up and get your own lives and leave them alone. I give Denise and the Lohan's so much credit for going ahead into the reality show arena and putting themselves out there for us all to see just how truly complicated and fucked up their lives are. To me that shows how real they are and not phased by any paparazzi bullshit.

To bring this entry to a close, I will leave off by saying one more time that I still am not 100% on board with the reality t.v. phenomenon, but as a future director and screenwriter in the industry I do love the entertainment news and programs that show the actors and their families in as close to the norm of their lives as possible. I think of my watching reality television as research, because whether myself or anyone else out there likes it or not ... it's here to stay! I would love to hear from ALL of YOU out there and how you feel about reality television and the celebs that frequent the airwaves and magazines. Comments are welcome and expected!

Until next time ... DishThis!!!

2 comments:

Joey said...

okay, so when i read your blogs, i feel like mine are so blan. I don't know how to write like this and can't think of these big words to elaborate on the smaller sentences or words that you are using. but i guess as i read and write more i will find that it isn't all that hard to post blogs and write about different things.

Brett said...

I think there's something to be said for the way TV content has progressed from the comedy Sitcoms to all of these Reality TV shows that have exploded with popularity! I think this progression has happened, because audiences have either gotten completely bored with TV, or Directors or Screenwriters have gotten less creative... or oh crap I just don't know right now! LOL

I never really got into watching The Real World, actually... I guess I just wasn't cool enough, I dunno... You have the Sitcoms, that usually air for a certain number of seasons, if they do well... but after a while it's like, okay cmmon, this is boring!! ...The Sitcom ends, and then something new comes along, new characters, new relationships, new actors, but all too similar story-lines, which all contain the same kind of FLAWS... they aren't real and they begin to lack creative edge...

TV shows have begun to expand their filming budgets, and with that they are ever much more creative and it's so much more like watching a 30 minute to one hour long movie that's really just a TV show! Some of these, 24, Heroes, Smallville, Bones, House, Prison Break, CSI, Fringe, and Lost, have really broken away from the typical mold of those repetitive Sitcoms that seem to be different yet so much alike. These are definitely not real, but they have some level of creativity that sets them apart from the average TV show.

But when boredom sets in, I guess that's where Reality TV comes along... eventually it's like, cmmon, bring something NEW and different to the table! There's Sitcoms, and then there's the Reality TV, where things sort of have the opportunity to become more boring and like every day life, but at the same time they're actually interesting, because there's that raw footage, the sleazy, real characters, who aren't acting out at all, fighting with the people alongside them in their reality TV shows, and all competing for that recognition of being at the top of their trade. Some of us get hooked to tuning in every week... really for me, the only one that I can't seem to wait for every season is American Idol!

Reality TV or Sitcom? I think I prefer the more creative TV Shows that break apart from the typical successful sitcom mold.... and I do also really look forward to the new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, House, Lost, Heroes, and some others... although some of them might be just like all the others that came before, there's usually something about each that makes them distinctly unique, which tends to draw me in and keep me watching... some kind of ongoing love affair between two characters, or waiting to see what'll happen with the next twisting of the story plot, or who'll have the next great acting seen...

The Reality TV shows only keep me coming back for more so I can continue to laugh at the pathetic lives of the people on show, or so I can continue to laugh at how much alike or different they are in-line with my own life! Pretty pathetic, eh? Haha (If that even made sense)!

-I don't know why I chose to write this like I was writing a report, LOL... I think it was just the way you wrote your blog, J... so formal and comfortable, I didn't want to just write two sentences, and then pass on by.